Thursday 13 December 2012

A Day Late and a Dollar Short but my bags have finally arrived

Over the past few months since launching mefieuk, there have been a few issues/hiccups which have arisen along the way and as this journey continues I want to share them as well. For this post I want to look at 3 issues which have arisen for me in starting a business abroad.
1. Whether to have seasonal options which keep with the colour palate that is prevalent in UK seasonal dress;
2. The cultural differences in dealing with an overseas provider and;
3. Consistency of goods.

Over the years as I have been following African fashion, I have read about the dilemma of many fashion designers emerging from the continent as to whether to have seasonal collections which reflect the 4 seasons which exist in much of Europe and North America or to stick to the bright colours and attire used in a year-round warm climate. As a company that is creating goods to be sold primarily in Europe and North America, (...and anywhere else there is uptake...I am not choosy) I decided to reflect the seasons and as such the newest handbags which are about to be listed on the website, feature warmer colours and deeper tones which will still add interest to any outfit but also fit nicely with the colour palates that are prevalent throughout the winter season.

Some of you may be scratching your heads as to why it has taken so long for me to bring the new stock out and all I can really say is that the hiccups of a new business have definitely had an impact. Thus far I have found that supplier timeline management and consistency have lead to my delays. Many of my deadlines were not hit hence, shipments were late and on and on it goes. I have to say that this is a steep learning curve but I am still passionate about this journey! When I began, one of the tenets of the business was to celebrate the craftsman and artisans in Ghana and the skill that is there. My intention is still the same but as always there have been stumbling blocks along the way. Some have suggested that it is better to manufacture in China or the UK but I am adamant that my perseverence will pay off...I want to be about something more than the norm and I want this business to reflect it too..so the fight continues...

Anyhow below are some of my favorite looks with the new bags! Let me know yours!!! All will be available on www.mefie.co.uk, StlyesAfrik and there will be a promotion on Chictopia

Enjoy!

xx
mefieuk







No comments:

Post a Comment