Wednesday 28 November 2012

Ghanaian Textiles and Contemporary Prints

In 2010 the iconic Ghanaian textiles brands, GTP and Woodin (part of the Vlisco Group) were sold to a private equity investment group named Actis. The company specializes in emerging markets and is responsible for over $1.5bn in investment across the continent (they are also responsible for Accra Mall). One of their goals in acquiring the company was to further grow the brands under the Vlisco umbrella and protect the industry from cheap textile imports from China. Their intention was to promote the quality of the goods and the distinct segment that each of the textiles brands occupy ie.GTP is a more traditional print versus Woodin which specializes in the contemporary.

I was drawn to this story and felt a need to share a little background of the african prints as it really does align to what I would like to do with mefie.co.uk in terms of promotion of the skill and beauty that already exists adding a new twist to an established favourite. For me, I love both the traditional and the contemporary. In this blogpost I will talk about one of the contemporary prints that I used for bedroom design. I styled a small bedroom with cushions and found that the combination of light walls and light bedding with really striking vibrant cushions finishes the room.p I keep on looking at the combination and find that it does draw my eye.

In my mind this print is perfect for a child/tween/teen bedroom....it is funky and fun and really striking to brighten up a room. All the children I know, have brighter rooms and so these cushions would be a great addition!

Enjoy
xx
mefieuk



No comments:

Post a Comment