Wednesday 21 November 2012

The Unknown Artist

This year I had the opportunity to travel to Ghana twice and there is no other way to say it but I fell in love! There was something really mesmerising about the country...from the hustle of Accra to the lush greenery of Kumasi I loved it all. It reminded me of so many places that I had been before...it felt somewhat foreign but familiar all at the same time.

While in Ghana, I went to the craft market in Kumasi where I met lovely painters and carvers. I spent hours walking through the stalls and I was struck by all the beauty and talent. As I bartered with one of the painters he said something that has stayed with me...he said that he was an artist and that as an artist, he didn't paint for the money because he didn't need the money. He painted because he enjoyed it and that his goal was to have his paintings seen and admired around the world. In the end I bought three paintings which I brought back to the UK stretched and which now sit nicely in my dining room.

I have long enjoyed many types of art and gone to loads of galleries and exhibitions (although I am by no means an expert) my question, however, is why is the beauty of this art not recognised or cherished? Is it because of 'The West' dictating what the image of beauty is; is it simply the exposure of one artist versus another or is it a combination of factors? I have had this conversation many times but still have not made any definitive conclusions. So, I ask the question again--why is the beauty of one artist celebrated while another is lost? Hopefully this is a small step to change...

xx
Mefieuk






No comments:

Post a Comment